Thanksgiving Pet Safety for Orlando’s Pets
Thanksgiving is a special time of year where we get together with family and friends to enjoy each other’s company and of course, good food! Our pets love to be part of the celebration, too, and it’s great to include them! However, many of the foods we enjoy are toxic to our pets. Thanksgiving pet safety is essential to enjoy a happy holiday, so to help you and your pet avoid a stressful trip to our 24/7 animal hospital, we’ve created a list of foods that are safe and those that are dangerous for your pet!
Yes, beef that is lean, well-cooked, and unseasoned is safe for dogs and cats.
Yes, plain bread, whether white or whole grain, is safe for pets in small amounts. Don’t feed them raisin bread, though! Raisins are toxic to both cats and dogs.
Yes, cooked broccoli is safe in moderation. Raw broccoli, however, is difficult for dogs and cats to digest.
Yes, Brussels sprouts are safe when cooked, but pets don’t usually have an interest in them!
Yes, cooked carrots are safe for cats and dogs, but only dogs can enjoy raw carrots. Cats have a hard time digesting raw carrots.
Yes, but make sure to only share small amounts with your cats or dogs. In cats, too much can cause diarrhea. Interestingly, as well, celery leaves affect cats the same way catnip does!
Yes, most cheeses are safe for pets, but only in small quantities.
Yes, as long as it’s cooked, boneless and plain (not seasoned).
No, never. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, two stimulants that your pet cannot metabolize very effectively. The darker the chocolate, the higher the risk.
Yes, it’s non-toxic in very small quantities. However, cinnamon can become toxic at certain levels, so limit your pet’s exposure to it.
Yes, the kernels are safe in moderate amounts as long as they are cooked and plain (un-buttered and unseasoned). Corn on the cob, however, is a choking hazard!
Yes, cranberry sauce is safe, but some varieties contain a high amount of sugar, so share only small amounts with your pets.
No, never. Garlic is about five times as toxic as onions for cats and because it contains thiosulfates, it is toxic to dogs, too.
Yes, unless the gravy contains onion and/or garlic, both of which are toxic to pets.
No, never. There are toxic compounds in both that are harmful to cats and dogs.
Yes, as long as they’re unseasoned.
Green Bean Casserole
No, it’s too rich because it contains other ingredients that are harmful to our pets.
Key Lime Pie
No, limes are toxic to both dogs and cats, and the other ingredients including sour cream, condensed milk, and heavy cream, are far too rich for our pets to enjoy safely.
Yes, as long as they are cooked, unseasoned, and not fried. Raw potatoes, however, are lethal to cats and toxic to dogs!
Yes, but in very small amounts, as it could cause issues with lactose intolerance.
Yes, mushrooms from the store are safe as long as they are unseasoned. However, wild mushrooms could be very harmful, so keep your pet away from wild varieties!
Yes, for cats, but in extremely small amounts.
No, for dogs, because of the myristicin in it, which could cause disorientation, increased heart rate, high blood pressure, dry mouth, stomach pain, and seizures.
No, never. Onions are toxic to cats and dogs — this includes onion powder!
No, pecans contain fats and oils which can upset your pet’s stomach. Furthermore, the buttery crust and sweet syrupy filling are too rich for pets to handle!
Yes, on occasion, as long as it’s cooked and plain. Ham or bacon, however, are far too high in fat and sodium for our pets.
No, pumpkin pie filling has added ingredients that can be dangerous to pets. However, plain, cooked pumpkin, is completely safe!
Yes, plain and cooked brown or white rice is safe.
Yes, as long as it’s cooked, unseasoned, and removed from the shell.
No, stuffing very often contains onions, garlic, and/or shallots, all of which are toxic to your cats and dogs.
Sweet Potatoes/Candied Yams
Yes, but not in excessive amounts. Plain sweet potatoes are safer.
Yes, as long as it’s plain, boneless, and skinless.
No, never. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many sugar-free baked goods, peanut butters, and candies. It is highly toxic to pets, so keep it away from them!
Have any other questions about Thanksgiving pet safety? Contact our animal hospital today for more tips, or ask your veterinarian at your next appointment!